Wednesday 30 January 2013

Mo' Soul - Episode 2

Welcome back to Mo' Soul - Episode 2!

Firstly a huge thank you to everyone who took the time out to listen to Episode 1. Your comments and feedback are hugely appreciated and it makes it all worthwhile to know that there are others with an interest in the music that I love so much.

For me, being able to share some of the records in my collection is an exciting thought. If even one of these records catches your ear, turns a head, helps pass the time or keeps you amused then it will be mission accomplished!

So another 50 and something minutes of the good stuff is ready for you over at Mixcloud.

I'm kicking things off with Harry Belafonte's Banana Boat Song. Not a stone cold rarity by any means but this is a comforting 50s Calypso tinged number which I love and could happily play all day long. It's proves that records don't need to cost the earth to be great and this one stands up just as well as any other.

The Lost Generation 45 is a recent discovery which has been getting a bit of a hammering lately. A fabulous slice of Chicago soul that generated enough profit to see Brunswick Records able to buy itself out of its parent company, Decca and go it alone.

Keeping it on a Soulful tip I've also included a few other gems from the crates. George Benson, The Precisions and Dorando are all quality stand alone records in their own right and have been getting some solid plays out on the Soul scene recently.

Enjoy today's mix and I'll be back on the flip side with Episode 3

Ben

TRACKLIST

Belafonte - The Banana Boat Song (Day-O) - RCA

Neice Dezel - It Doesn't Matter - J&S Records

The Imaginations - I Love You, More (Than Anyone) - Bacon Fat Records

The Festivals - Gee Baby - Colossus

Myron & E With The Soul Investigators - On Broadway - Timmion Records

The Lost Generation - You're So Young But You're So True - Brunswick

Jackie Day - What's The Cost? - Speciality

Darrell Banks - Somebody, Somewhere - Revilot Records

Don Thomas - Come On Train (Ian Parton Remix) - New State

The Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing - Rock-way

Ellipsis - People - SoulSeven

Willis Wooten - Your Love Is Indescribably Delicious - Virtue

Johnnie Morisette - I'm Hungry - J&J / BBE

Judge Suds & The Soul Detergents - The (Rockin') Courtroom - Red Cap/BBE

Ruby Lee - I'm Going To Put A Watch On You (24 Hours A Day) - Poptone Records

Laura Lee - Crumbs Off The Table - Hot Wax

The Precisions - If This Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) - Drew

George Benson - My Woman's Good To Me - A&M Records

Dorando - Didn't I - Music City

LISTEN TO EPISODE 2 HERE

Mo' Soul - Episode 2 by Mo' Soul on Mixcloud


No comments:

Post a Comment